AmeriCorps Invests $1 Billion in Pandemic Recovery through National Service
The American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 included unprecedented funding to stop the spread of COVID-19 and respond to the public health, education and economic crises caused by the pandemic. It funded a national vaccination program, provided aid for small businesses struggling to keep their doors open, reduced child poverty, reopened schools and helped parents to get back to work.
The American Rescue Plan also contains $1 billion for AmeriCorps and many of its programs, with top line numbers as follows:
- $644M for AmeriCorps State and National
- $20M for the Volunteer Generation Fund
- $20M for State Service Commissions
- $80M for AmeriCorps VISTA
- $30M for AmeriCorps Seniors
- $73M for AmeriCorps Administrative Expenses
- $148M for the National Service Trust
- $9M for the Inspector General
This funding positioned the agency to make significant, targeted investments needed to further support the Administration’s top priority to provide immediate relief related to the pandemic, with a specific focus on support for underserved and disproportionately impacted communities.
The funding will continue to make service more accessible and inclusive, increase the diversity, cultural experiences, and number of AmeriCorps members and AmeriCorps Seniors volunteers serving in communities across the country, and to help stabilize existing national service programs and expand into new communities.
press release | Feb. 16, 2022
AmeriCorps Releases National Service Reports for US States and Territories
These state reports demonstrate the scope of AmeriCorps’ presence throughout the nation with programs in more than 40,000 locations spanning urban, rural, and tribal communities.
press release | Feb. 2, 2022
AmeriCorps Announces New Grant for COVID-19 Recovery Efforts
“We are pleased to partner with these communities as they continue their efforts to tackle problems that COVID-19 has highlighted or exacerbated,” said AmeriCorps Seniors Director Atalaya Sergi.
For all media inquiries, please contact Natasha Dabrowski at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the last year, ARP funds were invested in the following AmeriCorps programs:
- AmeriCorps State and National ($644 million) increased living allowances for members, distributed formula funding for Governor-appointed state service commissions, expanded access to match replacement funds, and expanded existing programs to meet increased needs.
- AmeriCorps VISTA ($80 million) increased living allowances for most AmeriCorps VISTA members, added 1,000+ new Summer Associate positions during the Summer of May 2021 and expanded programming efforts on the critical needs currently facing communities, including public health, food insecurity and learning loss.
- AmeriCorps Seniors ($30 million) provided vaccinations, vaccine education, and summer learning loss and enrichment programs for the nation’s students, as well as funded nearly 5,000 opportunities for older adults to serve.
AmeriCorps will continue to send public notices for our grant funding opportunities and share additional updates on this page related to the American Rescue Plan and how this transformational investment will help AmeriCorps make service more accessible through several of our key programs. This section will be updated as decisions are finalized.
What they’re saying
USA Today | Opinion
Why Biden COVID relief plan will fuel public service in America
Theodore Roosevelt, one of 31 presidents who served in uniform, said: “Do what you can, with what you’ve got, where you are.” He believed everyone had a duty to serve their country, if they were able.
CNN | Opinion
This program puts people to work serving America. Now it's going to jump in size
National service is the rare policy that can both unite Americans in a common call and bring back communities decimated by the cascade of crises we now face.
The 74 | Opinion
Hauptman: Biden’s American Rescue Plan Presents an Opportunity to Heal the Country Through National Service
During the past year, our country has seen firsthand the vital role that national service has played in supporting communities...
AP News | Opinion
Nonprofits hail anti-poverty aspects of COVID relief measure
Nonprofit advocates have hailed Congress’ passage of a $1.9 trillion pandemic relief measure that has the potential to lift millions of people out of poverty at a scale not seen since the New Deal.
Do you want to make an impact in your community and your country? AmeriCorps members and AmeriCorps Seniors volunteers serve with organizations to strengthen communities across our nation.
In need of resources? AmeriCorps is here for you. Every year, we place more than $800 million in funding and more than 270,000 individuals with nonprofit, faith-based, and community organizations.