U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Goverment symbol

Official websites use .gov

A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Lock symbol

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS

A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Skip to main content

Featured FAQs


What benefits are provided during and after AmeriCorps?

Living allowance, and education award to pay for college or trade school expenses, or to repay qualified student loans, loan deferment and interest forbearance on qualified student loans, while in service, professional development, alumni network, and more. Some of our programs provide health care benefits or a stipend to purchase healthcare. You may also be eligible to receive a childcare benefit if you have children under the age of 13.

Are there any loan forgiveness programs or repayment plans that I might qualify for as an AmeriCorps member?

On September 27, 2007, President Bush signed the College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007 (“CCRAA”) into law. In addition to other amendments to the Higher Education Act of 1965, the CCRAA created two new federal programs: a new Public Service Loan Forgiveness program and a new Income-Based Repayment plan (IBR) for the repayment of federal loans. The new Income-Based Repayment plan helps to make repaying education loans more affordable for low-income borrowers, such as an AmeriCorps Member living on a stipend; AmeriCorps service is also recognized as equivalent to a public service job for the purposes of the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program. To learn more, see Education Award FAQs.

Can I defer student loans during my service with AmeriCorps?

Members may qualify for postponement, or forbearance, of the repayment of their loans during service. The education award will help you pay off qualified student loans when you're finished. You may also qualify to have the interest accrued on your student loans during service paid for by the National Service Trust. Contact your lender for more specific information or to confirm your loan status during AmeriCorps service. To learn more, see Education Award FAQs.

Do I have to be a U.S. citizen to serve in AmeriCorps?

To serve in AmeriCorps State and National or AmeriCorps NCCC, you must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or legal permanent resident alien of the United States. To serve in AmeriCorps VISTA, you must have one of the following citizenship statuses: U.S. Citizens, U.S. Nationals, Lawful Permanent Resident Aliens, or persons legally residing in a state that have the following legal residency classifications: refugee, asylum or asylee, temporary protected status or deferred action for childhood arrivals (DACA) status. By law, only AmeriCorps VISTA members who are either U.S. Citizens, U.S. Nationals, or Lawful Permanent Resident Aliens—sometimes referred to as “Lawful Permanent Residents”—are eligible to receive an AmeriCorps Segal Education Award.  All other members will receive an end of service cash stipend.

How long do I have to serve?

The time commitment varies depending on program. Generally, AmeriCorps service commitments range from three months to one year. AmeriCorps Seniors programs offer a variety of flexible time commitments to work with your availability and interest. AmeriCorps and AmeriCorps Seniors have full time and part-time opportunities.

How do I apply to AmeriCorps?

Each AmeriCorps programs' application process is slightly different. Use our Fit Finder to find the right program for you. On the program-specific pages, scroll to the How to Apply section. Ultimately, all AmeriCorps applicants must submit an application on the MyAmeriCorps Portal.

How long does it take to complete the application?

Because each AmeriCorps programs' application process is slightly different, it's tough to say. Most applications will take you roughly 30 minutes to complete. Some applications require references, a phone survey, or supplemental questions. 

Do I need references to apply?

Yes, references are part of the online application. A valid reference must be new (within the past 24 months). You must have at least 1 personal and 1 professional reference for your application to be assessed. Professional references include: supervisors, clergy members, mentors, teachers, coaches etc. *TIP* Having 2 professional references boosts your application during the assessment process.

I am having trouble logging into the application portal. What should I do?

Use the “Forgot your Username?” or “Forgot your Password?” options to recover your login information. If you encounter other issues, please call the National Service Hotline at 1-800-942-2677 to have your account reset.

I have questions about the position and/or the application process?

If you have any questions, please reach out to The National Service Hotline at 1-800-942-2677.

For program-specific support, email AmeriCorps NCCC at ANCCC@cns.gov, AmeriCorps VISTA at VISTAInformation@cns.gov, or contact your Portfolio Manager at your region office.

Still have a question?

Get in contact

Agency overview

Read policies, notices, and other agency information.

Find out more

What to expect

Learn more about what to expect when you join AmeriCorps.

Find out more

Back to main content