AmeriCorps Builds Economic Opportunity
Employers are increasingly looking for workers with both “hard skills,” such as college degrees, professional experience, and industry-recognized certifications, and “soft skills,” like leadership, communication, and thinking critically. AmeriCorps programs bridge the gap between these desired skills and the current state of resources and opportunities.
Expanding Opportunity for Americans
Together, AmeriCorps and its partners:
- connect individuals to internet access and digital literacy by distributing computers/tablets and providing families with digital literacy classes, and teaching core computer and internet skills;
- prepare Americans for success in the workplace by providing GED tutoring, English as a Second Language and literacy classes, computer skills, resume workshops and interview practice;
- educate older adults about financial fraud and other scams;
- provide financial coaching and teach financial literacy and money management services to low-income individuals and helping them obtain credit reports, develop debt reduction plans, create household budgets, and set financial goals;
- assist low-income individuals, families, and veterans with preparing and submitting tax returns, recovering millions in tax refunds and credits; and
- support programs focused on housing and homelessness in the nation by providing emergency shelter and rapid rehousing and housing-related services to individuals and families who are experiencing homelessness, and access to affordable homeownership opportunities.
Homes For All
Homes for All is an AmeriCorps program primarily focused on housing and homelessness in Kentucky, led by the Homeless & Housing Coalition of Kentucky. AmeriCorps members support new home construction, home repairs, housing-focused case management, homelessness prevention, rapid rehousing, homeownership counseling, and housing navigation.
Habitat for Humanity
AmeriCorps members to serve in the field and in the office to build and repair homes, expand housing services and engage the community. A service term with Habitat provides hands-on nonprofit experience that allows members to learn and develop lifelong skills. Since 1994, AmeriCorps members serving with Habitat for Humanity have served more than 126,000 individuals and contributed more than 18.6 million hours of service.
Mile High United Way
AmeriCorps members in the NCCC program provide crucial tax support to thousands of individuals and families to get the refunds they are owed. Learn more about what they do in the video below.
Your Help is Needed
Do you want to make an impact in your community and your country? AmeriCorps members and AmeriCorps Seniors volunteers serve with organizations to strengthen communities across our nation.
Expanding Opportunity for Those
Who Serve with AmeriCorps
AmeriCorps members successfully complete their service with increased employability, pathways to higher education, and a list of marketable skills.
Segal AmeriCorps Education Award
After successfully completing your AmeriCorps term of service, members are eligible to receive an education award to repay qualified student loans and to pay current educational expenses at eligible institutions of higher education and training programs. Since 1994, more than $4.5 billion has been earned in education awards.
Schools of National Service
AmeriCorps partners with hundreds of higher education institutions to support college access. Schools of National Service may match an AmeriCorps member’s education award, or provide benefits such as academic credit for service, priority admission points, or subsidized room and board or a textbook stipend.
Employers of National Service
Employers of National Service builds a talent pipeline to connect AmeriCorps and Peace Corps alumni with employers from every sector to create recruitment, hiring, and advancement opportunities.
AmeriCorps Seniors offers accommodations to reduce barriers to volunteering, which can include a modest stipend and supplemental insurance.
AmeriCorps provides opportunities for Americans of all backgrounds to serve their country, address the nation’s most pressing challenges, improve lives and communities, and strengthen civic engagement.