Parent Possible is a Colorado-based organization that equips parents with the tools they need for success in their children’s education and lives. Parent Possible has administered Home Instruction for Parents of Preschool Youngsters (HIPPY) since 1989. HIPPY is a home visitation program model with a curriculum to promote children’s development prior to kindergarten. In Parent Possible’s implementation of HIPPY, AmeriCorps members work with parents’ one-on-one with weekly visits. At home visits, parents roleplay the activities from the curriculum, which foster the development of early literacy, social/emotional skills, and other cognitive and physical skills in their children. To better understand the impact of the program in relation to costs, AmeriCorps commissioned a return on investment (ROI) analysis.
- Benefits of HIPPY include:
- Additional lifetime earnings resulting from improved education and employment outcomes.
- Reduced education expenditures for government.
- Additional earnings by AmeriCorps members.
- Living allowances, stipends, and education awards.
- Increased tax revenue for government.
- Reduced lifetime spending on corrections, public assistance, and social insurance.
- The program produces strong returns for the medium- and long-term scenarios for all ROI calculations.
Return on Investment (ROI) Studies
AmeriCorps and its grantees have invested significant resources in evaluating different agency programs and supported program models designed to improve a range of outcomes for national service members and volunteers, children, families, organizations, and communities across America. AmeriCorps has commissioned ICF International to conduct ROI analyses to help measure the program performance and build the base of evidence for future resource allocation decisions. In addition, each ROI study helps AmeriCorps communicate the value of its programs to relevant stakeholders. The ROI Studies Project will produce 16 ROI assessments from FY20 to FY23.
AmeriCorps Office of Research and Evaluation Commissioned Report