YouthBuild USA (YouthBuild) is a national youth leadership program designed to improve education and employment outcomes for opportunity youth (individuals between the ages of 16 to 24, who are neither in school nor employed). 233 local programs across 46 states use the YouthBuild model in their communities. The program’s goal is to help these youth attain high school diplomas or equivalency credentials, obtain occupational skills and experience, develop leadership skills, and deepen their commitment to service in their communities. YouthBuild recently expanded its service stream to include skill development in other in-demand industries such as health care, computer technology, and environmental services.
The goal of this return on investment (ROI) analysis report was to identify the cost-benefit measure the benefits of the YouthBuild AmeriCorps program against costs. The benefits and program costs are associated with AmeriCorps State and National members, who are also YouthBuild program participants.
The ROI analysis report found the following:
- 72.5 percent of YouthBuild AmeriCorps participants who completed the YouthBuild AmeriCorps program were placed in a job post-service.
- Of YouthBuild AmeriCorps participants who did not have a high school diploma or equivalency pre-service and who completed the YouthBuild AmeriCorps program, 67.8 percent obtained one post-service.
- 12.8 percent of YouthBuild AmeriCorps participants who completed the YouthBuild AmeriCorps program enrolled in post-secondary education post-service.
- 59.9 percent of YouthBuild AmeriCorps program participants completed the program and earned an education award post-service.
Learn more on the methodology used in the YouthBuild AmeriCorps’ ROI analysis report as well the benefits and costs discovered after the ROI was calculated. Download the:
Return on Investment (ROI) Studies
AmeriCorps and its grantees have invested significant resources in evaluating different agency programs and supported program models designed to improve a range of outcomes for national service members and volunteers, children, families, organizations, and communities across America. AmeriCorps has commissioned ICF International to conduct ROI analyses to help measure the program performance and build the base of evidence for future resource allocation decisions. In addition, each ROI study helps AmeriCorps communicate the value of its programs to relevant stakeholders. The ROI Studies Project will produce 16 ROI assessments from FY20 to FY23.
The ROI studies listed below evaluated the cost and benefits of each of the following program:
- AmeriCorps Senior: Foster Grandparents/Senior Companion: This study estimates that the AmeriCorps Seniors Foster Grandparent Program (FGP) and Senior Companion Program (SCP) generate an ROI of $3.50 per funder dollar. FGP alone has an ROI of $2.75 per funder dollar, while SCP has an ROI of $5.08 per funder dollar.
- Birth & Beyond Home Visitation Program: This study estimated the Home Visitation program’s ROI to be between $0.50 and $2.11 per funder dollar, depending on how long program participants and AmeriCorps members experience increased earnings as a result of the program.
- College Possible’s College Access Program: This study estimates College Possible’s ROI to be between $1.50 and $6.41 per funder dollar, depending on how long program participants and AmeriCorps members experience increased earnings due to College Possible’s College Access program. The return on each dollar of federal.
- Community Technology Empowerment Project (CTEP): This study estimates CTEP’s ROI to be between $2.95 and $34.26 per funder dollar, depending on how long program participants and AmeriCorps members experience increased earnings as a result of CTEP.
- Habitat for Humanity: This study estimated HFH AmeriCorps’s ROI to be between $0.62 to $2.61 per funder dollar, depending on how long HFH AmeriCorps members experience increased earnings from their national service.
- Minnesota Reading Corps - Kindergarten (MRC): This study estimates MRC Kindergarten’s ROI to be between $5.47 and $6.99 per funded dollar, depending on how long program participants and AmeriCorps members experience increased earnings as a result of MRC Kindergarten.
- Washington Conservation Corps: This study estimated Washington Conservation Corps’ ROI to be between $0.20 and $33.90 per funder dollar, depending on how long WCC AmeriCorps members experience increased earnings as a result of program participation, as well as the range of estimated benefits from improved ecosystems.