VISTA Summer Associate Benefits
AmeriCorps members serving as VISTA Summer Associates receive many of the same benefits as those who serve full-time for one year. Summer Associates are eligible to receive:
- Living allowance
- End-of-service summer award
- Reduction of education costs
- Limited leave
Because Summer Associate service is a shorter term, the AmeriCorps VISTA service benefits differ from those offered to leaders and full-term members. These are noted below and you can find more details on the AmeriCorps VISTA benefits in the VISTA member handbook.
End-of-Service Benefit for VISTA Summer Associates
Summer Associates can choose between a Summer Segal AmeriCorps Education Award or an end-of-service summer cash stipend. The Segal AmeriCorps Education Award is in the form of a voucher (not cash) and can be used to pay for future educational training and related expenses at Title IV schools, and/or to repay existing eligible federal student loans. See the current award value and learn which student loans are qualified.
Summer Associates cannot change their End-of-Service benefit once they start service.
Leave for VISTA Summer Associates
Categories of leave available to Summer Associates include:
- Holidays: Summer Associates receive leave on federal holidays observed by their project site.
- Emergency Leave: When an emergency or illness prevents a Summer Associate from serving, AmeriCorps staff may approve make-up time to help the Summer Associate meet the required number of service days.
- Jury Duty: Summer Associates who are summoned for jury duty will continue to receive their living allowance.
- Personal Leave: Summer Associates members are entitled up to three days of leave.
For more information on the Summer Associate program and member benefits, explore:
- AmeriCorps VISTA Member Handbook, Chapter 11