Summer Associate Benefits
AmeriCorps members serving as VISTA Summer Associates receive many of the same benefits as those who serve full-time for one year. Summer Associates are eligible to receive:
- Living allowance
- End-of-service summer award
- Reduction of education costs
- Limited leave
Because Summer Associate service is a shorter term, there are important changes in AmeriCorps benefits available. These are noted below; you can find more details on the AmeriCorps VISTA benefits in the member handbook.
End-of-Service Benefit for VISTA Summer Associates
For members starting service on or after October 1, 2020, the value of the education award is $1,311.11 for VISTA Summer Associates. The award is in the form of a voucher (not cash) and can be used to pay for future educational training and related expenses at Title IV schools, and/or to repay existing eligible federal student loans. Be sure to visit the Education Award site [https://americorps.gov/members-volunteers/segal-americorps-education-award] to learn which student loans are qualified.
Leave for VISTA Summer Associates
There are three categories of leave available to Summer Associates
- Holidays: Summer Associates receive leave on federal holidays observed by their project site.
- Emergency Leave: When an emergency or illness prevents a Summer Associate from serving, AmeriCorps staff may approve make-up time to help the Summer Associate meet the required number of service days.
- Jury Duty: Summer Associates who are summoned for jury duty will continue to receive their living allowance.
Summer Associates do not receive personal or sick leave.
For more information on the Summer Associate program and member benefits, explore the following resource:
- AmeriCorps VISTA Member Handbook, Chapter 11